History Formation The Halifax was formed in 1853 as the The Halifax Permanent Benefit Building and Investment Society.
Unlike many UK building societies which grew large by acquisitions and mergers, the Society choose an organic form of growth, and proceeded to open branches throughout the UK.
By 1913, it was the largest building society in the UK. Halifax Building Society In 1928, it merged with Halifax Equitable Building Society, then the second largest building society and was renamed Halifax Building Society.
The Society was now five times larger than its nearest rival, with assets of £47 million.
A new Head Office was built at Trinity Road, Halifax in 1973.
The distinctive diamond shaped building was used on marketing material during the 1980s and 90s.
Underneath the building is a specially constructed deedstore which is used to store property .
Its importance has diminished in recent years because property data is now kept on a central database kept by Her Majesty's Land Registry.
Diversification The Society continued to grow in size throughout the 20th century, remaining the UK's largest building society.
The deregulation of the financial services industry in the 1980s saw the passing of the which allowed societies greater financial freedoms, and diversification into other markets.
Accordingly the Halifax acquired an estate agent to complement its mortgage business.
It also expanded by offering current accounts and s, traditionally services offered by commercial banks.